Sunday, January 22, 2006

memoirs & a cuppa joe


today has been deliciously rainy and cold. something about a rainy sunday hits me just right. church becomes more cozy (although getting to the actual building from the car with two huge bags, a baby, and an umbrella is quite a challenge), and home becomes even cozier. after ella went down for afternoon nap #1, i curled up with my current read then promptly nodded off. not that that reflects the book in any way, i am thoroughly enjoying it. sundays, however, leave me no choice but to sleep.

the book is a memoir, one of my favorite categories if done right. this one definitely is. "a girl named zippy" by haven kimmel, who i learned from her bio, currently resides in my childhood hometown. it's interesting, funny, and well-written. i think if i ever even attempted a memoir i would have approximately 2 stories from my childhood that anyone besides my family would find interesting. she has a whole book.

the sky was still pouring when ella began her early-evening nap. perfect coffee weather. not just any coffee, mind you. i crave decaf grande mochas. which leads me to a very pressing question. can one be addicted to a non-caffeinated beverage? i guess it's just like any other craving, but i don't know how many cravings actually get me out of the house in the pouring, freezing rain to drive 7 minutes to the nearest starbucks.

it was well worth it. not just the coffee, but the entire 20 minute experience. sometimes 20 minutes is all i need to get rejuvinated. even now, sweet andy is feeding ella her dinner, and i can have a few minutes to call my own. i never dreamed how much a simple act could mean to me. so a solo coffee run is practically life-changing. lightning 100 set the mood (much to my husband's pleasure it is now a pre-set on my radio). i took off the insulated sleeve of my cup, just so i could feel the full force of the warm goodness in my palms. i reflected on how i wish i liked local shops' mochas more than "the man's" mochas, but i truly have looked and not found a more chocolatey substitute.

when i finally put my corporate america struggle on temorary hold, i then reflected on one of today's sermon points - to Be who i Am - and tried to wrap my little mind around it. upon my arrival back home, i got to talk to andy some about it. he's a wise one, that husband of mine. and awfully cute. good thing my baby looks mostly like him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im reading a girl name zippy too. Really liking it. Love this entry!

Anonymous said...

Addicted to non-caffeinated beverages eh? I suppose that could be true. Certainly the experience of making the run to Starbucks is a great and healthy thing. I'm pretty sure that I've developed an unhealthy addiction to caffeine these last seven months, so that's pretty sweet. Naps, rainy Sundays, lightning 100, and supporting the Coffee Cartel...sounds to me like Ali O's world is the place to be. Nice post (Yen thinks so too)!

adrienne said...

bobes and yen...FOREVER!!!!!!!

Christine said...

Alison, I love your writing! I stumbled upon your blog through Kierstin-->Jeremy-->and then Andy I think. And your little girl is absolutely adorable!!

Christine formerly Piccione :) now Bailey :)