Sunday, January 29, 2006

entitlement

As my Ella becomes more aware of the world around her, it seems she feels that anything within her reach could (and should) be hers. I think this is probably a common trait among babies. Andy and I worked in the church nursery today and you can see it in how the babies take toys from each other...or when one of them is having a book read, others want in on the action - although none of them can talk.

Now, I want to make a clear distinction between this "wanting" of the babies, and "wanting" of toddlers. This is before it really seems selfish or, sometimes, even malicious. This is more of a, "I see that thing, and obviously the person in possession of it is having a really good time, so I want it, too."

In Ella's case, if I'm holding my cell phone or typing on the computer or holding a cup (her three favorite things in the world) her little eyes light up, she gives an excited laugh (which still sounds like a cough) and lunges for it. Actually, I could be holding anything, and she would be almost as excited. If a magazine is in her reach, forget about it. She has ripped out at least 3 pages, and has stuffed at least a quarter of 1 of those pages in her mouth. Yesterday I fished out Jennifer Aniston's head.

I'm not quite sure at what point this becomes a "mine" battle (Lord, give me patience when that becomes her favorite word). As it stands, I'm just enjoying watching her total abandon to social mores, because she has no idea they exist. Pretty much every baby I've ever seen will smile at anyone they feel like, either not caring at all what the reaction might be, or because they expect a smile right back. I don't know the last time I graced a perfect stranger with a smile without a second thought. I often smile at strangers if our paths cross, but if they were to glare back at me, I would most definitely feel the sting.

Babies? Not so much. Is it because they are primed? Or because those kinds of insecurities have yet to settle in. Blast those insecurities. I feel there is probably some spiritual connection that could be made to this particular abandon and entitlement our tiny persons seem to possess. We are entitled to peace. We are entitled to fearlessness. We are entitled to neverending grace and love. These aren't just things we can hope we get some day. These are Ours. These are Mine. These are Andy's and Ella's. What would our little family (or community) look like if we lived fully in what is already ours?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

hey crazy girl....the even greater coincidence amongst all the ones you listed, is that we know each other :) haha....this is lauren (martin) gauthier! i also stumbled upon your blog by way of kierstin's and have enjoyed reading of the day-to-day adventures of the osengas, and especially that little beauty queen, miss ella. one day our two ella's must meet! it was great to hear from you- i hope we can keep up to date on one another's comings and goings....blessings!

Lauren said...

alison, you absolutely have me laughing so hard right now. yes, we have returned to my old stomping grounds....we are living in the NJ suburbs of PA, and robert is working as an assistant to tony campolo in the e.a.p.e. office. he is loving his work, and we have found an amazing church. life is good. i'll keep reading your musings....peace, lauren ps- i mistyped your name at the beginning of this, and it came out "liason"....pretty cool that you can mix up the letters of your name and end up a liason...LOL