Wednesday, April 29, 2009

comfort

* Written about three weeks ago

Ella's emotions have been on her sleeve today. Most likely has to do with her non-nap. And being a girl. And being my girl.

But even in the sadness, there is sweet comfort. I walked into the bathroom as Andy was bathing the girls. Sadie was singing, "I love youuuuu, Ellaaaaaaa." Over and over. In her sweet, high voice. And slowly Ella's tears stopped.

Later she was wrapped in her towel, and I was rocking her and rubbing her back. Up and down her spine. Over and over.

"It sounds like, 'It's ok, it's ok, it's ok,'" she murmured.

It took me a second to realize that in the rhythm of my hand on her back, my child heard words of comfort from her mother.

I am filled with gratitude for this moment. Not only that she experienced it, but that she shared it with me.

6 comments:

The Morginskys said...

ugh. that is such a precious moment. i am glad you wrote it down to remember it.

Lauren said...

oh, alison! that is definitely one of those sweet, timeless and unforgettable parenting moments <3 ...so glad you got it down "on paper." ;)

Christine said...

That is so sweet. It gave me chills!

www.clairestrebeck.com said...

oh my gosh. the sweetest thing i may have ever heard.

jenni said...

Wow, that is beautiful.

Flo Paris said...

um. TEARS. geez.
love it.