Tuesday, September 20, 2005

soundtrack of our lives

When you spend most of every day by yourself in the house with a baby, there's not much talking going on. Actually, I do talk to Ella all day long, but there are only so many one-sided conversations you can have. So we listen to a lot of music. I try to pick songs and albums for the occassion, and since I'm in list mode, I thought I'd document what's in our rotation these days...

Mealtimes: now that Ella's eating in her highchair 1-2 times a day, I like to have something in the background. Not too crazy, mind you. I don't want to be like Hard Rock Cafe, where they play really fast and loud music so you eat faster and can't really talk. Not that I know the last time I've eaten at a Hard Rock, although I have a pretty impressive international t-shirt collection...
The Far Country - Andrew Peterson
Jill Phillips' self-titled
Station Wagon - Sara Groves
Kierstin & Jeremy's Greatest Hits (a wedding shower party favor - good times - esp "She Will Have Her Way" by Neil Finn)
Long Gone Before Daylight - the Cardigans

Playtime: her "i'm awake and excited about playing" music - this includes dance parties both in the Johnny Jump-Up and with Mommy and/or Daddy...
Redemption Songs - Jars of Clay
Rainy Day Music - Jayhawks
Greatest Hits - Jackson Five
the Indelible Grace records
the Bees
Pet Sound Sessions - the Beach Boys
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill (esp Doo Wop (That Thing))
Outkast - mostly the song "Rosa Parks" (nothing like a hoe-down in the middle of a hip-hop song)

Chillaxing: usually takes place on Ella's "frog" or in Mommy's arms or in the car
anything Classical
For the Road - Matthew Perryman Jones
Joshua Judges Ruth - Lyle Lovett (North Dakota is a great rock-your-baby-to-sleep song)
The Road to Ensenada - ole Lyle...he also fits in the "playtime" category
Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
Souvenirs & Postcards - the great Andrew Osenga
1000 Kisses - Patty Griffin
Glow - the Innocence Mission

Of course, mixed into all the fun, are Daddy's most excellent ditties he comes up with on the spot. It almost always elicits a big smile and little shimmy from the tiny. Oh, and sometimes she "sings" along, which is highly enjoyable.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey, Alison,

This is great! Your mom just gave me your address a few days ago, and I thought I'd check it out. I like the peek into your life. Glad you are enjoying these precious, fleeting days.

You keep writing; I'll keep reading. And really, don't give another thought to prepositions. -rstevenson

Ali O said...

thanks, mrs stevenson, i mean....dang, i just can't say it! thanks for the grammatical encouragement!
i'm liking your blog, too :)