Thursday, September 22, 2005

Rock-a-bye, Ella

The Tiny does not like to nap. I've tried everything. You name it, we've done it. Today I even turned a drive from a friend's house that usually is about 2 minutes to a tour around our neighborhood lasting 45 minutes, just because I knew a nap would ensue.
Now, if you read me a couple of stories, rocked me for a few minutes in a dark room humming tunes I've heard from the womb, and placed me in bed with the sound of waves rolling gently beneath me, I would be out in a little less than 10 seconds. Not my sweet baby. And I do mean sweet. She is one of the most docile, easygoing babies I've ever been around. Many people have even commented on her calm demeanor. But when this child is put down for a nap, we aren't quite as happy as we are the rest of the day. Pretty much the moment she realizes she's alone and supposed to be sleeping, the wailing begins.
ALONE being the key word, here. This afternoon, after 20 minutes, or so, of dramatic crying, I went to check on her. I rubbed her belly, which usually calms her down. No no, she had worked herself into a frenzy and rubbing was not enough. I picked her up. Instant silence. It's like she's so happy to be held, she doesn't want to do anything to mess it up. She's been like this since the day we came home from the hospital. So I sat in the rocker, and we rocked. And rocked. Of course, she instantly snuggled into me and fell asleep. For my Ella's a cuddler.
I've had a hunch about her cuddle tendencies since she resided in my belly. I would rub my stomach constantly when I was pregnant, and ever since I was able to feel her, she would move to wherever my hand was rubbing. That has carried over into some major cuddle sessions, which I love. I hope it lasts forever.
However, this does not bode well at nap time. As much as I love to sleep, I can't take EVERY nap with my baby. For nothing else would get done, ever. We've got to get this baby napping solo!
Now when it's bedtime, it's a whole different story. Tonight she had her nighttime feeding, we rocked a few minutes, I put her in her crib, and she rolled over and fell fast asleep. I won't hear from her til morning. I know, I don't get it, either.

2 comments:

me said...

In case you were wondering, you're so incredibly cute.

hmmm, no naps for the baby? no wonder the tiny sleeps through the night!

I wish I could have a nappy. booo.

love you and the tiny!

me said...

p.s.-- she's an ickle eco. that's uber cute.