Wednesday, June 18, 2008

when you're sliding into first...

...and you feel something squirt

{Addendum - at the beginning. I have interspersed some new information. Look around. It's like Where's Waldo, except with words.}

No fun, right? Well, the runny rounds were made in the family last week. "Why does she share this personal and rather revolting information?" you may ask?? Because I have some information that I feel might help fellow sufferers (or the parents of the sufferers).

It could be common knowledge that there are a few foods that are especially good to have on the menu during these times. A friend of my mom's passed along the acronym BRAT. This stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and T beans. huh? (The only correlation I came up with was T=toot=beans, but this still is a weak argument to me) ** Thanks to the fine and helpful ladies who commented, I have learned that the T stands for Toast. NOT BEANS. Good thing I've been feeding my child beans Daily for the past week. But not tomorrow. No sirree. **

After a call to the doctor's office, and the confirmation that toddlers hang on to this messy business for sometimes a couple of weeks, the nurse also added Yogurt to the list of stopper-uppers. Yogurt has probiotics, which basically put good bacteria into your system. My children especially enjoy these.

So. Armed with my ** new and correct ** list of foods and exceptional brain power, I came up with a new acronym. BARTY: Bananas, Applesauce, Rice, Toast, Yogurt.

Use this information, my friends. Use it well.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm a lurker who has been reading your blog for a while. I have always been told that the T in the acronym stands for toast. I don't know if toast helps or not, but that is what I have been told.

ckuretich said...

OMG Kelli, I was going to say the same thing. A) I don't know kelli, and b) I don't know you, but your blog is adorable.
as the wife of someone with colon cancer, i can assure you that the "T" stands for toast, no doubt. Beans will only exaggerate the problem, as they are loaded with fiber, whereas toast is bland like bananas, rice, and applesauce, and will heal and burning tummy. :)

Ali O said...

Thanks SO much for commenting, ladies! I've changed my post to reflect the info that y'all provided, and I'm so glad you did! Toast makes total sense.

It's fun to hear from people that I've never met! and "ckuretich" my heart goes out to you and your husband.

www.clairestrebeck.com said...

Your post makes me crack up! :) I'm impressed that you are able to share so freely! My son had a similar problem a couple of months ago (that wonderfully passed itself around to the rest of us and all our friends. yuck.) I've heard Brat from one of my friends, but now i'll remember Braty, too! Thanks!

Thesupermanns said...

oh yeah.....you have a blog too??? How awesome to the max. I shall visit often and learn more of yalls life too. Good thing...im heading out of town this weekend and Mr bennett has the runny diapers right now too, ironicly. I have yogurt that can help...now that you say it. Gracias...blessings to the Osenga Household. I need to and Andy's new Album to my blog too....when is it coming out?

ckuretich said...

thanks Ali, I really appreciate it. He's hanging in there! He's truly amazing.