Thursday, March 06, 2008

let them eat cake




Among the endless reasons I love my husband is that he bought me this movie.

I have only seen Marie Antoinette once - in the theater - but ever since I have had frequent desires to watch it again. While it may not be the most historically (shall we say) thorough, it is a visually stunning movie. The opulence of the French court in that era is fascinating.

Sophia Coppola, in my opinion, came at the story in a completely fresh way. I love that 80s songs are part of the soundtrack (with even a brief glimpse of some blue Chucks). With Andy leaving today (for the 3rd weekend in a row, might I add) I know what I'll be doing with my Friday night.

3 comments:

adrienne said...

sweet andy:) i wanna watch it!

Rebecca said...

Funny. I was just thinking yesterday that I want to see this movie. I saw previews a long time ago now and was fascinated by the use of 80's soundtrack... Also, who doesn't love Sophia Coppola (Lost in Translation, anyone?)? But I was thinking about the movie again because my students and I have just started studying A Tale of Two Cities, and you can't escape a sense of the extravagance of the aristocracy. Bill's away this weekend, too. Maybe I'll rent it.... Nope. Grading papers.

jenni said...

I love this movie, too!