Tuesday, July 18, 2006

twenty-seven


Today has probably been the most revelatory birthday I've had so far. Well, there Was my ninth birthday when I got a note saying that on my Tenth birthday I could get my ears pierced. This may at first seem kind of anti-climactic...like, "well, why couldn't you have just gotten them pierced on That birthday?" or "why didn't they just wait to tell you when you were ten?".

I'll just go ahead and tell you that I was the most excited I had been in a long time. From the moment I first was able to discern what earrings were I was asking for pierced ears. At first my parents said I had to be sixteen (aaaagh!) then it was thirteen (still an eternity away) then I got The Note.

There's a picture that captures the moment. I had had a swimming party, and was still in my pink bathing suit that was one-shouldered with ruffles around the top. My hair was in a pony-tail (this was a few months before my mother chopped all of my hair off, making me look Really and Truly like a boy - I still won't let it rest), and I'm wearing purple leg-warmers. I'm pretty sure those were also a present - part of the "Get in Shape, Girl" set. (anyone? anyone?) My fingernails were painted pink, and I've got the biggest grin possible stretched across the skinniest face possible. That, my friends, was a happy day.

But seriously, what are pierced ears compared to finding out you're having another baby girl? Not all that important. Except that I know that I will Not make Ella and her little sister wait until they are sixteen to take the piercing plunge. And I will Not chop all of their hair off (but I wish I at least had the option with Ella. still wispy).

So, yes, today has been a good day. I think I'm going to like being twenty-seven.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whaaa?? WHAAAAAA???

yay.


(and happy birthday!)

Dallass said...

My husband sent me this post because he knew that getting your ears pierced in my family was huge. I loved your story! In our family the piercing age was set at 18. After much begging it was lowered to 16. Then on my older sister's 12th birthday it happened. Mom and Dad gave her pierced earrings and the go-ahead. I was so excited because it meant I only had to wait a short 2 years to get mine pierced, instead of a lifetime-long 6 years.

Kudos! And Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Is this an announcement?!? Congratulations! Awesome. One little girl is special, two is even better. :-)

adrienne said...

"Get in shape girl....you've got the feelin'!!"

Robyn Jones Clark said...

so i'm a little late on reading this, but congratulations on having another baby!! That's awesome! I'm so excited for both of you!

Robyn

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Craps online3