Saturday, March 11, 2006

the Great Guilty Pleasure Read-Off


Remember Science Fair projects? I feel kind of like I’m starting one – for two reasons. First, I’m about to read a science-fiction novel. Second, I’m going to document my journey with this novel, and see if the end result is, indeed, as I hypothesized.

Of course, I won’t be adhering to regular Science Fair rules. There won’t be judges, nor blue ribbons, and (thank goodness) nothing “sciency” about it – just the book.

You see, my dear husband and I are exchanging our “guilty pleasure books” and letting the other take a look-see into our literary utopias. For me, this is either Goudge (my always and ultimate favorite, whom I do Not feel guilty in the least about reading) or, Far less meaningful, pop-culture girly (often-times British) humor books that always involve ridiculous amounts of materialism (namely clothes, shoes and jewelry) and some sort of fluffy romance.

I have chosen for Andy to read “Confessions of a Shopaholic.” It is laugh-out-loud good, has no amount of true value in life, and apparently will be made into a movie starring Kate Hudson one day (I cringe just imagining her British accent).

I have been tasked to read “Rendezvous with Rama” by Arthur C. Clarke. I am already smirking and sneering, being that I did those two things the entire time Andy was reading it in bed next to me. Just looking at the front cover makes me laugh and I’m feeling the need to rent “Trekkies” once again.

I respect and admire Andy’s literary leanings, but I must admit skepticism. He has been quite up front with the fact that this is completely nerdy, then quickly follows with the fact that apparently Morgan Freeman is going to be in the movie adaptation. And Morgan Freeman is, unarguably, cool.

So here’s my “hypothesis.” I think I will be scared off from the science-fiction world forever. I think this has something to do with people exploring a world in space, or something – or maybe a spaceship. Andy’s explained it to me multiple times, but all I can get through my head is that “Rama” is not a person. I think I’ve blocked everything else out.

I can almost guarantee that I won’t be returning for any sequels. I’ll try to keep the smirking to a minimum, and hopefully my husband’s cool points won’t be taken away in the process. Hopefully mine won’t be taken away as he reads his assignment either.

The following is Andy's hypothesis:

"Confessions of a Shopaholic

I'm expecting pretty much the movie version of "Bridget Jones' Diary." I'm thinking there will be a lot of names like Gucci and Vera Wang thrown around. And tons of wonderful, charming, young British men who won't pay our heroine the time of day. I bet it will be funny, though, and I'm hoping for some humorous personal revelations; and a better appreciation for upscale footware."


And we're off...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Keep us updated.

_steve said...

LOL...nice!