Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Caldecott


Ahhh, books. It's a prevalent theme here, which is appropriate for it is a prevalent theme in my life! As a mother, I feel a particular responsibility (and overwhelming privilege) for introducing my children to a wide variety of literature. We have reached the perfect stage (in my mind) for Caldecott Medal books. Before they can read, I want their little minds to come alive through interesting and beautiful illustrations. And, I dare say, I am just as mesmerized as my children.

As we all know, I love the Nashville Public Library. I have my (super long) library PIN code memorized for when I request books. And for the past few months I've been working my way through the Caldecott Medal award and honor's list. I pick the ones that seem age-appropriate or are related to the current season (there are lots of great stories for the winter). I see which books the girls (or I) gravitate toward, and my hope is to one day own all the ones we absolutely love. In hardback. We have just a handful in our collection so far -either as gifts, or great deals online.

I am currently head over heels about Ox-Cart Man. In it, a nineteenth-century family grows and makes produce and goods all year that the man of the house puts in an ox-cart and takes to town in October. There, he sells everything (including the ox and cart), buys a few necessities, then walks home to start the year-long process over. I find it both inspiring and soothing. The book was published in 1979, which happens to be my birth year. I was thrilled to stumble upon a first-edition hardback (for less than $10 purchase and shipping)!

{this is the family making Maple syrup in the month of March}

I'm sure I'll write more about the others in our collection. And the ones we find ourselves borrowing again and again.

Ella is up from her nap, so we're off to adventure through 1954's winner, Madeline's Rescue!

3 comments:

Thesupermanns said...

you are so cute how you love books. Such a smart mama teaching her little ones to love books as well.

Sharon said...

love that your back and ready to share. thanks for the tips on the book lists. thats a good way to find new kids books. a professor here has a children's literature class that i am hoping to take. i'll email you the book list as its pretty good.
missed hearing about your life. send me an email with an update! i miss the nashville library terribly. you would think st. louis has a good one but it does not!

jenni said...

I love the artwork in Ox-Cart Man! And this is exactly how my Mom made me bookish - she had me reading way early so that she could read her own books. :)