Tuesday, November 06, 2007

tip for tuesday


Whilst flipping through a magazine, I ran across some hair-washing tips. Not that I get to wash mine all that often (something about running after children all day), but I always love a good insight into the ways of follicle upkeep.

* Before you wash, brush your hair from root to end - this loosens the dead skin and hairs. (ummm, disgusting)

* When scrubbing, use the pads of your fingers, not the fingernails. This can scratch the hair cuticle, making it dull. (oops)

* During your shower, don't pile your hair on top of your head - apparently this can dry out the ends. (I don't understand that at all. Plus, I ALWAYS put mine up , because I have long hair, and how else can I wash my shoulders with ease?)

* Rinse with cool/cold water. This causes your pores to contract, so they don't secrete as much oil. (Actually, I've known this for a while, but thought I'd throw it in. It's definitely an art form to get the water only on your head and not any other part of your body.)

There you have it, fellow hair-washers. While we're on the subject, might I add that I've been using Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo. I find it quite enjoyable, and am pleased with the results. I have fine hair, but a lot of it. And with each child it has become increasingly more wavy (not to mention darker). This seems to cater to both those things. Hooray for hair care!

5 comments:

jenni said...

I have fine hair, too, and it's not looking so good lately. Perhaps I'll try the Burt's shampoo - I love Burt's Bees anyway!

TracyMichele said...

Did you know if you use cool water to rinse the body as well, it prevents some of the dryness during the winter months? It also provides you with a nice little motivator to turn off the water and use less. *giggle*

Great, informative little post!

*jj said...

oh dude.. I don't think I could go through with the cold water thing.. that requires much bravery.

Liz said...

i've been washing my hair the wrong way my entire life. no wonder....

Steve said...

Life has changed for me. Thanks for this. I wish I were joking. That's how huge a deal this is for me.