Saturday, September 09, 2006

saturday, squatters & neverending laundry


It's Saturday, and Andy is out of town. Thankfully, it's just for one day. With fall shows coming up, I'm going to have to get used to him being out for three-four days in a row. I don't like this. One day I can handle (usually). There's just this thing called sleep that I can't get enough of, and Ella has not been the most reliable napper as of late. Especially today - the poor babe has a very runny nose and sneezes constantly. She's also gnawing on her hands so much that she has raw spots on her fingers. Sure signs of teething. Right now she's moaning in her crib and I can hear her sniffling through the monitor. Very sad.

I've been trying to do laundry during her spotty napping, and managed to fold four loads, Stain Stick one load, and throw one load in the dryer. Two more are waiting to be washed. How in the world does a family of three manage to have this many dirty clothes? It's unbelievable. And now we're dealing with a very mysterious problem...

I believe it is all due to a squatter living in our basement. Andy does not. But for whatever reason, there is definitely a smell of cigarette smoke in the basement/garage, and it's starting to creep upstairs. Sometimes I'll walk inside and smell it. Sometimes I'll walk to the back of the house and catch a whiff. But what I cannot accept is that it is starting to make the laundry smell. I pull out Ella's sweet, little clothes from the dryer, and instead of smelling baby, I find traces of grody. Boo. We can't seem to find the source, and since nobody has been lighting anywhere in the house, it continues to be quite the puzzle.

I just hope I don't stumble across a family of smokers living down there because I will (first) have a heart attack and (when I recover) giving them a good talking-to about the dangers of smoking and their audacity for choosing my home.

No comments: